Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Weekend gig report

What a great weekend... it was great to work three days in a row and get the rush of being able to entertain and get out of the office. Usually when I haven't drawn for awhile I'm a bit rusty, but for some reason I was "in the zone" all weekend and drew some very good drawings.

The party on Friday was especially good. I don't know if it was having a good pen, the artistic atmosphere of being at the McCoy Center for the Arts in New Albany or if the people were just well-suited for my style, but I thought I drew some good drawings that night and everyone was very pleased.

On Saturday, I drew full body caricatures for a group of teenage girls, and it's always fun to test my creativity and see if I can come up with fun gags to illustrate the activities that they say they want me to draw. Three of the girls asked to be mermaids... it's funny because mermaids must be popular again since Disney re-released The Little Mermaid. I haven't been asked to draw a mermaid in more than a decade!

I usually don't work on Sundays, but I enjoyed the Super Bowl party, especially because everyone at Rooster's was really nice to me (and fed me!) and because I was again drawing well. I think the highlight of the day was when I drew two of the waitresses who are pregnant, and drew them bumping bellies and making comments like "look out! watch where you're going!" and the like. They loved it and many of their co-workers told me how funny they thought it was. I also got a free United Way "Live United" T-shirt just like the one shown in the drawing I posted last month! How cool is that!?

Overall a fun weekend and, not insignificantly, a profitable one, too! I'm hoping that these jobs will lead to some more soon because my schedule is pretty much wide open for the next few months, and I'd hate to think that such good drawing won't lead to more opportunities. I NEED THE WORK! haha (I hope that didn't sound too desperate!)

--Steve

2 comments:

  1. I've had numerous compliments on the caricature you drew for me! I've really committed my marketing and branding to include the caricature, even going so far as to wrapping my vehicle with it. Good luck with your business and have fun with your work.
    Joel
    http://HomesofSWMichigan.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! I would love to see that car with my artwork on it. Could you send me photos of that?

    I also see you've changed your website URL, so I will change that on the web links page of my website (http://www.funfaces.com/web.htm)

    Thanks for the comment!
    Steve

    ReplyDelete